Can I charge my Lightning with a generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miar

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m new here!

Last week, I got my Lightning, and I hope to use it mainly for commuting and maybe some camping trips. I want to be able to charge it at night, so I’d like to know if anyone has tried using a generator to charge their Lightning. Thanks!

For sure, it’s doable, but I can’t help but think that the whole chill vibe of a peaceful Lightning retreat in the great outdoors would just get totally wrecked by the roar of a generator. Like, who wants to be surrounded by nature and then hear that buzzing chaos? No thanks!

If you’re just counting on that generator, I’m with @R3NZL3R on this one! Why not swing by the electrical post at the campground for some nice, laid-back L1 charging instead? Way better than listening to that pesky generator noise!

Hey all, I’m new here!

Last week, I got my Lightning, and I hope to use it mainly for commuting and maybe some camping trips. I want to be able to charge it at night, so I’d like to know if anyone has tried using a generator to charge their Lightning. Thanks!
Good luck trying to haul enough fuel to squeeze even a drop of power from that huge, clunky 240v generator! It’s pretty much a lost cause if you’re hoping to crank out any serious juice.

For sure, it’s doable, but I can’t help but think that the whole chill vibe of a peaceful Lightning retreat in the great outdoors would just get totally wrecked by the roar of a generator. Like, who wants to be surrounded by nature and then hear that buzzing chaos? No thanks!
Ah I see your point. I totally get how a noisy generator could get...I’m just trying to figure out some backup options in case I’m camping somewhere without easy access to charging.

If you’re just counting on that generator, I’m with @R3NZL3R on this one! Why not swing by the electrical post at the campground for some nice, laid-back L1 charging instead? Way better than listening to that pesky generator noise!
I know right. If there's an electrical post available, that would definitely be a more peaceful option for L1 charging. I just want to make sure I’m covered in case there’s no access, but I’ll keep that in mind for sure.

Good luck trying to haul enough fuel to squeeze even a drop of power from that huge, clunky 240v generator! It’s pretty much a lost cause if you’re hoping to crank out any serious juice.
I hear you! I was just considering the generator as a backup plan, but it does sound like a whole lot with fuel and the size. It is definitely something to think about. I might need to look into other options for off-grid charging.

Back